Did you know that 350 slices of pizza are eaten every second? And that Oxford is the city that consumes the most pizza in the UK?
With pizza ovens fast becoming the alfresco dining experience of choice and the trusted barbecue taking a back seat, I thought it might be fun to find out some silly – some might say useless – facts about pizzas you can share with friends over a glass of wine or two.
** See our PIZZA OVEN SPECIAL OFFERS **
Did you know…
- Over five billion pizzas are sold worldwide each year
- 93% of Americans have at least one slice every month
- 49% of people in the UK eat pizza at least once a week
- During TV news, pizza is most often ordered during the weather
- Women are twice as likely as men to order vegetables on their pizza
- Anchovies is the least favourite pizza topping
And don’t forget these important dates for your diary – no doubt already noted in Oxford!
- September 5th – National Cheese Pizza Day
- October 11th – National Sausage Pizza Day
Now, it may be true that 36% of all pizza orders ask for pepperoni. But we can be a little more adventurous than that, surely.
So here’s a little inspiration for toppings that I’ve found that should give you some ideas for your creations.
- Barbecue bacon and mango
- Squid pizza with saffron
- Beer battered fried calamari
- Full English breakfast
- Pineapple pulled pork
- Macaroni cheese
- Fig and gorgonzola
- Grilled blackberry with goats cheese, pistachio and honey
- Chocolate and raspberry
- Summer berries and Nutella
And with pepperoni being the most popular pizza topping in the UK and US, here’s a taste of some of the weird and wonderful favourites from other parts of the world.
- Finland – smoked reindeer, blue cheese and mushrooms
- India – pickled ginger, minced mutton and cottage cheese
- Russia – sardines, mackerel, tuna, salmon and onions
- Japan – seafood and squid ink
- Sweden – banana curry
- Brazil – green peas
- Costa Rica – coconut and shrimp
Food for thought. There really are no holds barred when it comes to pizza toppings – anything goes.
So get creating. Summer’s on its way. Forget the barbecue, burgers, baps and buns. Have some fun with an outdoor pizza oven.
Oh yes. If you could invite anyone from history for a pizza who would it be?? Now that’s a good conversation starter for your alfresco pizza evening…Paul Newman, definitely!